PROMPT: GOING GONZO!
DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 30, 2020 @ Midnight
Extended from 10/31 • This deadline is final.
For this Monthly Musepaper, submit your (1,000 words or less) story, poems, or essay inspired by and/or in the style of "Gonzo Journalism", created and popularized by Hunter S. Thompson in the 1970s.
Here are a few ideas to toss around as you rile up your inner Gonzo:
- Personal Experiences/Emotions
- First-Person Narration
- Stream of Consciousness
- Exaggeration, Sarcasm, Humor
- Journalism, Politics
- Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '2020.
gonzo: those who use craziness as a form of self-expression, who push it too far just to push it. *
gonzo journalism: a visceral, energetic first-person approach to storytelling, in which the author is a protagonist, and power is drawn from a combination of both social critique and self-satire. †
As always, all stories, essays, and poems, of any subject matter, are welcome.
The top three entries will be published at Musepaper.org and in a special print anthology.
Winners will also receive the ever-changing Enigma Gift. (That's right, we're not telling! We promise it will be thoughtful. It may also be fun, funky, profound...or maybe all three.)
I think truth and facts have almost no relation to one another. They ain't very closely connected. And I would rather have as few facts as possible, and let observation and experience and imagination [do the rest of it]. — William Faulkner
- No restrictions on style.
- Stories or essays should be 1000 words or less.
- Poetry entries may include one or two poems, and should not exceed 1000 words in total.
- Entrant retains copyright ownership of work.
- All entries must be previously unpublished.
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions welcome.
- Anonymous Judging: Submission file should contain only the title and text of the story, essay, poem. Cover letters are optional and may be added separately.
- Winners are generally announced within 60-90 days of the closing date.
- The reading fee is $15.* * *
- Submissions must be received by NOVEMBER 30, 2020. This deadline will not be extended again.
* * * Musepaper offers a subscription for aspiring poets and writers. It's quick and easy to do, and we invite you to join us. All subscriptions include a Monthly Musepaper submission each month. Subscribers also have exclusive access to new writing and publishing opportunities, Subscriber-Only contests, and bonus submissions, as well as polls, surveys, and a suggestion box to help direct the creative direction and evolution of Musepaper.
If you're interested, visit musepaper.org/subscribe.
If you have any questions, shoot us an email and we'll be happy to help: hello [at] newmillenniumwritings [dot] org newmillenniumwritings [dot] org