PROMPT: Going Gonzo!
DEADLINE: October 31, 2020 @ Midnight
For this Monthly Musepaper craft a story, essay, or 1-2 poems, in 1000 words or less, inspired by and/or in the style of "Gonzo Journalism", created and popularized by Hunter S. Thompson in the 1970s.
As always, all stories, essays, and poems, of any subject matter, are welcome.
If this prompt starts your inner Gonzo barking, here are a few possible leads to sniff out:
- Personal Experiences/Emotions
- First-Person Narration
- Stream of Consciousness
- Exaggeration, Sarcasm, Humor
- Journalism, Politics
- Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '2020.
gonzo: those who use craziness as a form of self-expression, who push it too far just to push it. *
gonzo journalism: a visceral, energetic first-person approach to storytelling, in which the author is a protagonist, and power is drawn from a combination of both social critique and self-satire. †
The top three entries will be published at Musepaper.org and in a special print anthology.
Winners will also receive the ever-changing Enigma Gift. (That's right, we're not telling! We promise it will be thoughtful. It may also be fun, funky, profound...or maybe all three.)
- No restrictions on style.
- Stories or essays should be 1000 words or less.
- Poetry entries may include one or two poems, and should not exceed 1000 words in total.
- Entrant retains copyright ownership of work.
- All entries must be previously unpublished.
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions welcome.
- Anonymous Judging: Submission file should contain only the title and text of the story, essay, poem. Cover letters are optional and may be added separately.
- Winners are generally announced within 60-90 days of the closing date.
- The reading fee is
$15, $11.03 (Special Election 2020 Discount) * * *
- Submissions must be received by OCTOBER 31, 2020. This deadline will not be extended.
* * * DID YOU KNOW that aspiring, passionate, and like-minded poets and writers from across the world are making Musepaper an integral part of their writing practice?
Musepaper offers a subscription for aspiring poets and writers. It's quick and easy to do, and we invite you to join us. All subscriptions include a Monthly Musepaper submission each month. Subscribers also have exclusive access to new writing and publishing opportunities, Subscriber-Only contests, and bonus submissions, as well as polls, surveys, and a suggestion box to help direct the creative direction and evolution of Musepaper.
If you're interested, visit musepaper.org/subscribe.
If you have any questions, shoot us an email and we'll be happy to help: hello [at] newmillenniumwritings [dot] org