You guys have been in this for a long, long time and have an excellent reputation. — Dennis Littrell, Kula, HI
New Millennium Writings was launched in 1996 with a 15-word classified ad. From those humble beginnings, NMW has exploded into an internationally recognized and highly sought-after literary award and journal.
Since 1996, New Millennium Writings has:
- Hosted 185 Consecutive Writing Awards
- Published 2,000+ authors
- Delivered 50,000+ anthologies
- Awarded more than $350,000 to new and emerging poets and writers
There aren't a lot of rules. Seems like there's space for me to be me. — Keith Kilburn, Northern CA
We believe in the creative potential of every writer, regardless of experience. Our blind and anonymous judging system ensures equality to writers of every level. All writers are welcome, and no subject is off-limits.
Other recent submitters share why they chose NMW...
The entry fee is reasonable, and I love the structure of NMW. It allows writers to submit all types of work, and the site is so user-friendly. -- Arvilla Fee, Ohio
Submitting here never feels like overwhelming odds — there is a clear care for all writers. — Hardy Griffin, Ithaca, NY
The work is always fresh and it's exciting to see a publication so encouraging of new voices and styles. — Oliver St. John
I like the variety, diversity, and egalitarian attitude of the editors. You display a fairness not found many other places. — S.E. Ingraham
I cannot overestimate the value of winning the NMW award. I credit you with giving me a second career as a writer. — J. L. Schneider, NY
Click "More" for Guidelines ↘
POETRY • FICTION • FLASH FICTION • NONFICTION
$4,000 IN AWARDS + PUBLICATION (in print and online)
Deadline: June 30, 2021
- First Place in each category receives a $1000 cash prize, a certificate to document the success, publication online and in print, in New Millennium Writings, and two complimentary copies.
- Select Finalists, and all Poetry Finalists, will be published in New Millennium Writings (online and in print) and receive two complimentary copies.
- No restrictions on style or subject matter.
- Entrant retains copyright ownership of work.
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions welcome.
- Previously published works accepted if: Print circulation was under 5,000, or the work was published online only.
- Fiction (all types welcome) - 7,499 words or less
- Nonfiction (all types welcome) - 7,499 words or less
- Flash Fiction (aka: Short-Short Fiction) - 1,000 words or less
- Poetry - each entry may include three poems, up to five pages total.
- Anonymous Judging: Submission file should contain only the title and text of the story, essay, or poem(s). Cover letters are optional and may be uploaded separately.
- For mail/postal submissions click here for instructions.
- Submit your work (or postmark) by June 30, 2021.
ENTRY FEES AND MULTIPLE ENTRY SUPPORT
For any category or combination of categories:
- 1 Entry - $20
- 2 Entries - $35 (reg $40)
- 3 Entries - $45 (reg $60)
- 4 Entries - $60 (reg $80)
- 5 Entries - $80 (reg $100)
Note: Poetry may include up to three poems per Entry.