You guys have been in this for a long, long time and have an excellent reputation. — Dennis Littrell, Kula, HI
New Millennium Writings was launched in 1996 with a 15-word classified ad. From those humble beginnings, NMW has exploded into an internationally recognized and highly sought-after literary award and journal.
Submitted to by poets and writers from nearly 50 countries, "first-time-awarded" and "first-time published-in-print" distinctions remain in the majority here.
Our recent launch of Sunshot Press & Book Awards has expanded opportunities for writers even farther. In its 2018 inaugural year, Sunshot Press published four books. All have garnered wide attention and praise, including a PEN America Longlist honor.
Since 1996, New Millennium Writings has also:
- Hosted 175 Consecutive Writing Awards
- Published 2,000+ authors
- Delivered 50,000+ anthologies
- Awarded more than $350,000 to new and emerging poets and writers
We believe in the creative potential of every writer, regardless of experience. Our blind and anonymous judging system ensures equality to writers of every level. All writers are welcome, and no subject is off-limits.
A few writers and poets share why they chose NMW...
NMW makes a writer feel welcomed. The enthusiasm of the magazine and its editors is refreshing. — Gloria Roxanne, Buckley, NJ
I'm impressed with your open, inclusive, and encouraging submission policies. — Helen Engelhardt, Brooklyn, NY
I researched countless sites for submission and found NMW to be the most reputable and informative. Thank you! — Amy Harley, Atlanta, GA
I like the variety, diversity, and egalitarian attitude of the editors. You display a fairness not found many other places. — S.E. Ingraham, Alberta, Canada
I love that serious publications like yours exist for both new and experienced writers. Thank you! — Judith Manzoni Ward, Guilford, CT
NMW publishes work that gives humanity a voice. — Davida D. Washer, El Paso, Texas
I admire the longevity and quality of NMW. There is a convincing, contemporary edge to the writing you award. — Renate Stendhal, Point Reyes Station, CA
I cannot overestimate the value of winning the NMW award. I credit you with giving me a second career as a writer. — J. L. Schneider, NY
Click "More" for Guidelines ↘
POETRY • FICTION • FLASH FICTION • NONFICTION
$4,000 IN AWARDS + PUBLICATION (in print and online)
- First Place in each category receives a $1000 cash prize, a certificate to document the success, publication online and in print, in New Millennium Writings, and two complimentary copies.
- Select Finalists, and all Poetry Finalists, will be published in New Millennium Writings (online and in print) and receive two complimentary copies.
- No restrictions on style or subject matter.
- Entrant retains copyright ownership of work.
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions welcome.
- Previously published works accepted if: Print circulation was under 5,000, or the work was published online only.
- Fiction (all types welcome) - 7,499 words or less
- Nonfiction (all types welcome) - 7,499 words or less
- Flash Fiction (aka: Short-Short Fiction) - 1,000 words or less
- Poetry - each entry may include three poems, up to five pages total.
- Anonymous Judging: Submission file should contain only the title and text of the story, essay, or poem(s). Cover letters are optional and may be uploaded separately.
- For mail/postal submissions click here for instructions.
- Submit your work (or postmark) by June 23, 2019.
ENTRY FEES AND MULTIPLE ENTRY SUPPORT
For any category or combination of categories:
- 1 Entry - $20
- 2 Entries - $35 (reg $40)
- 3 Entries - $45 (reg $60)
- 4 Entries - $60 (reg $80)
- 5 Entries - $75 (reg $100)
Note: Poetry may include up to three poems per Entry.