You guys have been in this for a long, long time and have an excellent reputation. — Dennis Littrell, Kula, HI
It's true. Since 1996, New Millennium Writings has:
- Hosted 169 Consecutive Writing Awards
- Published 2,000 authors
- Delivered 50,000 anthologies
- Awarded more than $350,000 to new and emerging poets and writers
We believe in the creative potential of every writer, regardless of experience. "First time award winner" and "First time published" are common here at NMW, and blind and anonymous judging ensures equality to writers of every level. All writers are welcome, and no subject is off-limits.
A few writers and poets share why they chose NMW...
NMW makes a writer feel welcomed. The enthusiasm of the magazine and its editors is refreshing. — Gloria Roxanne, Buckley, NJ
Thank you for your generous submission policy! — Bradley Wester, Bristol, RI
I love that serious publications like yours exist for both new and experienced writers. Thank you! — Judith Manzoni Ward, Guilford, CT
I admire the longevity and quality of NMW. There is a convincing, contemporary edge to the writing you award. — Renate Stendhal, Point Reyes Station, CA
I cannot overestimate the value of winning the NMW award. I credit you with giving me a second career as a writer. — J. L. Schneider, NY
Click "More" for Guidelines ↘
November 29, 2018 — Submission Deadline (This deadline is final and will not be extended.)
- One First Place winner will receive the Sunshot Book Award.
- 10-20 manuscripts will be selected as finalists.
- All finalists are eligible for the Sunshot Book Prize.
- The First Place Sunshot Book Award, plus all Sunshot Book Prizes, will include the Sunshot rePRIZE.
- For full details visit the Prize page.
- Manuscript length. The length and number of individual poems or works within a manuscript is solely up to the author.
- Fiction: 12,500-55,000 words
- Nonfiction: 12,500-55,000 words
- Poetry: 50-80 pages (not including title page, TOC, etc)
- Anonymity. All manuscripts are read blind and judged anonymously, and therefore must not contain any identifying details. Dedications and/or acknowledgments should be removed from the manuscript and uploaded under "Additional Documents" on the submission form.
- Stress-free submitting. We, too, are only human. Minor grammatical or formatting mistakes will not negatively impact the judging of your manuscript. In the unlikely event we are unable to judge your manuscript, for any reason, we'll always contact you and try to resolve any issues.
Please review the full Guidelines before submitting.
November 29, 2018 — DEADLINE
POETRY • FICTION • FLASH FICTION • NONFICTION
$4,000 IN AWARDS + PUBLICATION (in print and online)
- First Place in each category receives a $1000 cash prize, a certificate to document the success, publication online and in print, in New Millennium Writings, and two complimentary copies.
- Select Finalists, and all Poetry Finalists, will be published in New Millennium Writings and receive two complimentary copies.
- No restrictions on style or subject matter.
- Entrant retains copyright ownership of work.
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions welcome.
- Previously published works accepted if: Print circulation was under 5,000, or the work was published online only.
- Fiction - 6,000 words or less
- Nonfiction (all types welcome) - 6,000 words or less
- Flash Fiction (aka: Short-Short Fiction) - 1,000 words or less
- Poetry - each entry may include three poems, up to five pages total.
- Anonymous Judging: Submission file should contain only the title and text of the story, essay, poem(s). Cover letters are optional and may be uploaded separately.
- For mail/postal submissions click here for instructions.
- Submit your work (or postmark) by November, 30 2018.
ENTRY FEES AND MULTIPLE ENTRY SUPPORT
For any category or combination of categories:
- 1 Entry - $20
- 2 Entries - $35 (reg $40)
- 3 Entries - $45 (reg $60)
- 4 Entries - $60 (reg $80)
- 5 Entries - $75 (reg $100)
Note: Poetry may include up to three poems per Entry.
SUBMITTER BONUS: Choose "Add Sunshot Entry" when you submit your Contest 47 entry and you'll get $5 off submission to the 2nd annual Sunshot Book Awards. This contest awards book-length collections of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction. This bonus option cannot be refunded. Make the commitment and you will have until the November 29 deadline to upload your Sunshot collection. More info at sunshots.org.